Tuesday, May 5, 2015

First time Leading a Church Service's Worship

The normal organist was going on vacation and needed a stand-in. I was volunteered to help out and the rest is history.

It was a sleepy congregation. Or maybe I just couldn't hear them because I was boxed in by the facade. I also accompanied a soloist on the piano, it was a beautiful hymn and the soloist was a very confidant, congenial singer.

I don't know the exact stops and ranks because the church is somewhat in the the dark-ages of technology and doesn't have a website. It had a delay in the pedals but not in the manuals. The delay took a bit of getting used to, but once that was overcome, the organ had a raw, powerful sound that completely enveloped me.

The organ has some stops that generate electrical sounds, and some stops that activate pipes. The pipes' tuning varies with the weather. Cool vs. warm temperatures or damp vs. humid conditions will change the way the pipes play. Since the electrical stops don't vary with weather, they had to be tuned to the pipes. I had to pull one electric stop and one pipe stop, then play a key and adjust the tuning knob till the edge vibrations of the two pipes's notes were moving at the same rate. It was pretty neat to tune such a large instrument. :)


The main facade
The view from the bench
Your's truly and the view form the choir loft

No comments:

Post a Comment